Thursday, May 13, 2010

kind of a funny story

"Who are you?" Olivia looked quite shocked at the man who evidently had dressed up for her. He was in a suit, after all. Ravi felt awful now that perhaps they might have a home invasion of some kind. Perhaps FBI, for all he knew.

"Hi." The man gave her a nervous smile as he raked his fingers through his locks of blond hair. "I've been waiting a very long time to meet you. I'm, I'm your father, Daniel." He put out his other hand to shake hers.

She just looked at him wide-eyed as he shook her hand. Olivia almost went limp like a rag doll.

"Really? Are you sure?" She winced as if he had to be wrong, but she offered him a seat.

"You're kind of hard to track down." He told her. "But then again, I didn't ask for a professional or anything. I just wanted you to know. That-that-." He became weepy then as if he might cry. "I never stopped thinking, about you, I didn't. I almost found you once. You were four, and I called on Easter, and well, they wouldn't let me speak to you because-because I was told I had no rights, and well, I guess I didn't."

Olivia nodded.

"I was in prison when you were born," he then said. "Kind of took me a decade or so to get my act together. But-but really, I got to talking to your Great Aunt. We talked about you for quite awhile the last few weeks, and she seems to think you're pretty much on your own, right now.  And...that, that maybe it would be a good chance to see you if, if..you know, your folks, don't catch on and get mad."

"I don't really know what to say," Olivia said. "I know nothing about my real family." She looked at Ravi, who squeezed her shoulder for support then. "Who are they?" She looked so anxious to know.

"Well, I was a friend of your mother's and her husband. They were professors. And, and, I was kind of down on my luck. My usual story, and well, I lived with them and they have daughter, Beth. I knew her when she was about three or so because I used to babysit her. Guess, I was like a nanny." He joked. "I got into this kind of domestic conflict and well, I ended up in jail, longer than I thought I was going to be. And, and by then, you were long gone." He just nodded.

Olivia just glared at him.

"Please, please don't be mad at me." Daniel said quite nervous. "I really missed out on so much. I never thought any of this would turn out this way. I thought your mother loved me." He winced.

Ravi was sure Olivia might cave in, but she didn't. He knew she was always stronger than anyone he knew. She embraced the man then, as if her father were the one who needed consoling.

Olivia - the last thing I expected

9 comments:

  1. Glad that Ravi was there for Olivia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she's finally finding out things about her family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude her father is such a cutie! lol I am glad she is finding things out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Ravi was with her during this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the story, and by the way, thank you for visiting my blog, I'm feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have imagined something like this!! :/

    ReplyDelete