Friday, September 2, 2011

traveling lady stay awhile

Penelope pressed her lips tight. Did she dare talk about this with Denny?

"It..seems..." Penelope started. "Elliot doesn't even remember having sex with me." They did make odd bed fellows. Although, Elliot slept through the night perfectly. He wasn't sleep walking, anymore. Still he was kind of awkward around her. He always wore a lot of clothes to bed as if he might need to get out of the house quick. Or was that for her benefit?

"Was he drunk?" Denny pondered as he played with the herbal tea bag in his cup of steaming water. She watched the tea turn a dark rich pink.

"No." Penelope shook her head. "He's..just..uh...stressed." She shrugged her shoulders. "I think the baby stressed him a whole lot more than he'll admit. Its just, he wants to take it slow now. You know, getting to know each other." She didn't think it would be this slow.

"And..and you.. are all right with that?" Denny asked.

"Of course, I-I want to be here. I do." Penelope nodded. "I want to see what happens." Penelope  couldn't decide if she'd moved in for Pearl or for Elliot. It got to her that Pearl needed a mother. As strange as it was she felt the need to help. To be here for Elliot. Maybe it was Elliot who needed mothering more than Pearl.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad she's going to stick around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least I think it'll be better if Elliot and Penelope don't rush into anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happy that she is staying :)

    ReplyDelete