Sunday, August 12, 2012

just an idea

"I know its crazy." Henry nursed the cold smoothie that Josie brought him. Her shift was almost over at the coffee shop. "I don't mean to be crazy. Its just..what..what if I'm..I'm falling for a girl?"

"Wow." Josie almost laughed. "How awful. Look, just keep remembering that..this Shannon is..is right here."

"Where?" Henry jerked his head toward the door as if Shannon came right in and was at the counter.

"You know, what I mean." She plopped herself in the booth. Of course, it was a bit of a struggle to get in and out of a booth. But she was tired. She felt huge. Although, Ian kept promising she wasn't. "You saw him again. He lives on your street, even."

"I dunno, how I didn't know." Henry shook his head as if that baffled him. But he focused on his smoothie.

"Do you want me to go with you?" She looked at him wide eyed as if she had sort of special powers for this kind of thing. Or she might be a good luck charm.

"No." Henry winced as if that was an awful idea.

"Don't tell me, you are just gonna ..wait ..this out..and let him hook up with someone else." Josie couldn't help but rest her hands on her ballooning stomach.

"I dunno." He looked at her as if he was so unsure of everything. "I dunno anything about him."

"That's why you just need to..introduce him to the neighborhood. Or whatever." She shrugged as if he should have done so already.

"I can't. I-I'll just wait until school starts and..maybe..."

"Don't wait that long. If you want him so damn bad, then do something about it." She advised.

"But..but he might be straight."

"Or a very mannish girl." Josie reminded him.

"He couldn't be. He just couldn't." Henry acted like he had a bad taste in his mouth. He put the smoothie away.

"OK, go to his house."

"And do what?" Henry squinted hard.

"Say anything. You know, he's new in town. He needs friends." Josie reminded him.

"He needs friends." Henry nodded as if he liked the idea.

Josie smiled.

"God, I hope he's as great as you say he is." Josie got up then.

"Why?" Henry looked at her funny.

"Because, I want something to happen more fun than me giving birth to a cannonball." She waddled away. Her lower back was beginning to ache, but nothing out of the ordinary.

7 comments:

  1. Josie and Henry have such good chemistry with each other - I love their friendship!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting excited for him. I do hope Shannon is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go for it, Henry! I'm glad Josie gave him a pep talk. I do wonder when the baby will get here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited what happens with Henry and Shannon!

    ReplyDelete