Friday, October 11, 2013

Go gettem

by the book



It hadn't been just the two of them in such a long time. Dean was happy to treat Vada to her favorite pizza place.

She'd faced her fears, trying out for a play.

There was a moment, Dean could actually sense being there in her shoes on that big stage in the very empty auditorium.

"What will you do, if..if its a packed house?" Dean asked. She might really have a chance at the part. This could lead to bigger and better things.

"I don't care. I won't get it, anyway. I just did it..because..I could." She was possibly a little dramatic when she said it, all so solemn, but then she cracked a smile, and he couldn't help but laugh.

"Who cares about this high school stuff." Dean smiled more. "I think you're ready for the big screen."

She laughed a little and went back to her cheese pizza.

"Well, I am proud of, you." Dean told her. "And it was a good time, right?"

She nodded as if she was pleased to get over the obstacle. As if it might be something to scratch off her bucket list.

"How do you think, Josie, did?" Dean knew he needed to call her.

"How should I know? It was a closed auditorium. No one got to see anyone else. Except, Roman. I guess." She sighed as if he alone would have the say in who got the part.

"She didn't sound good." Dean told Vada about the text.

"Well, you have to go to her. You, do." Vada looked at him as if he shouldn't even be here. She started to clean up.

"Hey, we're celebrating. It can wait." He winced. He was hardly on his second slice.

"No. Don't you see, she needs you." Vada insisted.

"If I must." Dean rolled his eyes. He packed up the pizza and they headed back to the house.


you


 He didn't get to Josie's until almost 9.

Naturally, she looked as if she were on the verge of tears.

"Its not the end of the world, if you don't get the part." Dean hoped he didn't sound bitter, but she hugged him hard as if he made everything better. Of course, he hadn't even gotten inside her house. She pressed him against the car. It couldn't have been the most attractive way to be. Especially, with her bare feet planted on his sneakers as she held on to him.

"Honestly, with this kind of passion, you should really be the leading lady." He finally managed to say while he unwrapped himself from her. He held her hands and looked at the chipped black painted nails. "You sure, its the only thing bothering you?"

"I don't think, you like me." She was quite sad about the matter.

"Well, you do give a whole new meaning to the word, LIKE." He told her. "Of course, I like you. I just don't know what, you're expecting."

He looked her in the eye.

"Besides, Mr. Wonderful might come any moment and sweep you off your feet." He shrugged.

"Why do you say things like that?" Her lashes fluttered. He thought she'd make a great Snow White, but he knew he was no prince.

"I dunno. I thought you were big on this Roman fellow." He shrugged.

She was in a pout.

His feet were going numb, but it didn't matter.  When she leaned in this time, it happened before he could think. If he had, it wouldn't have happened. But it was too late. The kiss was slow, but there was a tiger waiting to pounce him, and he wasn't sure how to keep it tame. He wasn't even sure he wanted too.

But when she wanted him to come to her room. He woke up, just grinning.

"Don't think so." She hung on. "I'll see you. Tomorrow." He unwound her fingers from him once, again. He really hoped he could figure this out before it was too late.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm glad Dean came around. Hopefully, Josie won't go to crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try and play catch up. But, I am intrigued by Mr. Dean.
    Thanks for taking the time to stop by.
    Tarah

    ReplyDelete