Thursday, November 5, 2015

You. Me. & Carson

now I know




It was true. Charlie hated change. Things were going to change. She had to see it through. But she was sluggish and didn't feel like making any real decisions at the moment.

After all, Barry held her until she fell asleep in his arms, last night. It wasn't easy, seeing his face at breakfast.

She'd decided he knew too much.

She was rather mute. He knew how her mother was. How her dad drank his life away. How she'd spent a good portion of her adolescences in homeless shelters. Now a lump in her throat swelled so, she couldn't talk. It was so hard to swallow down the yummy pancakes in a bed of strawberries and bananas.

Before she could have a second cup of coffee, Essie and Scott arrived with their baby.

Naturally, a melt down hit her like an avalanche. Charlie thought of all the things she'd said to Carson about Essie and her baby.

"I said some things I..I shouldn't have." She said when she and Essie were alone. "I mean, it..it just hit me. I..I think now, what I should have said."

She tried to tell Essie about her visit from Draco and what he'd found out about Carson. So she'd done some sleuthing herself  to find out Carson found someone new.

"Its like..he runs away, you know. Like if he..he feels threatened. If things aren't going the way ..he wants them too, he just finds..something..someone new." She nursed her bottom lip.

"But what does that have to do with me?" Essie winced hard as if she was surprised there would be anything to bring up.

"I told him..I thought your baby was his." Charlie choked up.

what have I done



Essie looked at Charlie stunned. She didn't know what to say.

"I just feel it. Some how." Charlie shook her head NO. "You know, when..when I found out..in the beginning...I wondered..should..should I just walk away..and let you two figure it out. I mean, I would hate to think...it was me.." She was weeping. Her palms, over her eyes. She sat on Barry's unmade bed.

Finally, Essie went to console Charlie.

"You, had nothing to do with..with Carson and me, breaking up." She sighed, trying to recount her past with Carson. She shook her head, no. She'd never had any doubts before. It couldn't be possible. It couldn't be.

Yet, there was a very very small possibility that Essie didn't know the true father of her baby. Yet in her heart, Scott would always be Katherine's father.

2 comments: