Sunday, March 27, 2016

what are friends for?

what are friends for




Taylor took it upon himself to take Omaha out to dinner.

"Now we can try the steak?" He smiled.

He could tell Omaha was a little startled about his success, getting the office job.

"I didn't think secretaries existed anymore." Omaha tensed.

"Hey, don't knock it. You, deserve this job." Taylor wondered how many times he'd have to tell this to his new friend, before he'd believe it.

"I dunno. Its..its just gonna be out of my element." He gritted, after admitting his first job was putting wood on the fire to smoke meat at Swine and Dine. Later, he even washed pots and pans there.

"Just take one day at a time. Don't let it rattle you." Taylor hoped Omaha wouldn't give up before he ever started. "You, obviously impressed them with how fast you could type."

"Its weird that I even remember how." His smile was quick then, as if he was remembering something. He sighed. "I never thought I'd even use it, you know. But, my best friend Carmen used to help me in computer lab, back in middle school." He shook his head.

"Well, we'll just have to meet up, again. Next week." Taylor smiled. "So, you can tell me, how its going."

Omaha nodded.

Taylor told Omaha about his fiancee. "She's in Chicago, for the next couple of months."

"Oh."

"So you're not-"

"Me? Engaged?" He kind of laughed. "I don't really..go out." He shrugged.

About then, their salads arrived. Max was their waiter.

"So, what does Daisy think about Chicago?" Taylor looked up at him.

Max only cleared his throat, and stared at Taylor a bit bewildered.



roadtrip?



"What?" This caught Max off guard. He winced, trying to remember this guy. Vaguely, he remembered Daisy mentioning him. Taylor was engaged to Max's ex, Sara. "Oh. Uh, well, I dunno, she sort of got off to a rotten start, but I think she's better. She says Sara has..has really been a friend, indeed." He bit a smile, hoping he hadn't caused any alarm. It just felt wrong to say Sara's name, Max thought.

"They're roomies." Taylor explained to his friend, he was having dinner with. His smile was open. Evidently, Sara told him a lot about Daisy.

"Sara is glad Daisy is there. She says she'd really be homesick, if she wasn't." Taylor invited Max to sit with them.

The diner was quiet. Max guessed he could sit for a bit.

Taylor asked all about Mandy. He wanted to meet her.

"She's just a toddler." Max shrugged.

"I bet Daisy misses her." Taylor wanted to see some pictures, so Max got out his phone.

"I could go with you, to Chicago some weekend." Taylor then said. "I could drive." It was only eight hours away.

Max felt as if he might laugh out loud. Sure, he needed all the help he could, with Mandy. Still, he wasn't so sure he really wanted to see Sara on this journey. He'd done his best not to speak to her, the last couple of years.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe speaking to her is exactly what Max needs to move forward in his own life.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Max needs to go... regardless about Sara...

    ReplyDelete