Saturday, June 4, 2016

with only a chance of sunshine

Vada and Josie




Vada hated that she missed Josie's shower. She didn't have a really good excuse, other than spending time with Alo and Bear, who still hadn't found a house yet.

"I'm sorry..I'm so sorry," Vada said at the campus coffee shop. She ordered a large Flat White to go.

Josie looked to be in a slump, as if she should no way be working behind the counter.

"It was good." Josie sighed. "We got a lot of stuff. Almost too much for the apartment." She sounded overwhelmed.

"Look, I could try..try to help, you get it all organized. We could keep some of it at my parents, until you need it." She couldn't believe they'd left with all the baby stuff, but she wouldn't bring it up.

"We..will figure it out." She shrugged with a soft smile. "Its OK. Even if it feels like a never ending Christmas."

"And..and..Henry is doing OK?" She wanted to know.

Josie nodded.

"How's Alo?" Josie looked at her as if she didn't want any catch phrase.

"Oh, I dunno." Vada then winced. "I want to be alone with him, again. Its just lately, Bear is always around."

"Bear? Who names their kid Bear?" Josie wanted to know. "Does he growl?"

Vada chuckled.

"Oh..get this, there..was this guy..who's name is Omaha..at the baby shower." Josie smiled more.

"What?" Vada asked if he was tall, dark haired.

"Yes, that's Omaha." Josie looked a bit stunned.

"Oh, I know him." Vada wondered why he was there.

"Me, too. Except I barely remember him." Josie told her that her mother knew his mother.

"Was she there?" She meant Omaha's mother.

"No, but his girlfriend showed up with Xander." Josie went to sip on her cold bottle of water.

"I should have came." Vada said she would like to see Omaha, again.

"Well, he's taken, you know." Josie shrugged. "And so are you."

"I know. But, you know, if..if you see old friends, you should get together with them." Vada looked at Josie, as if she might have her own dinner party now.

"You, can't have a party until July." Josie said she wanted to have the baby for a few weeks, all to herself. "And then we'll bring her to the party."

"You mean, you and Henry haven't picked out a name yet?" Vada wondered about this mystery.

"He says we'll know her name when we see her." Josie shrugged.

Vada shook her head. "You've got a name picked, already. I know you do."

Josie slightly shrugged, as if she knew how to keep a secret. She went on with her work behind the counter.

2 comments:

  1. Josie seems so withdrawn lately - I hope that Vada can bring her back to herself.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that Josie and Vada are friends... I look forward to hearing the babies name xox ♡♡

    ReplyDelete