Friday, November 18, 2016

moving forward

moving forward



Why did trials take so long? At last, Cody and his parents waited to hear the sentence for Connor's brother, Jared.

Cody was certain Jared would be out in no time, after all, he was in prison now. Perhaps he'd served his time. Fortunately, the judge gave Jared a hefty sentence, like 96 years and even some more time for bringing a weapon to a house party.

Perhaps Cody's family could find closure to his brother's death. Still, they distanced themselves.

Cody had gone on with school and was now in his first year of college. It seemed so long ago.

He felt sad that he hadn't known his brother better. But he could see that sadness in Connor's face, too.

"How have you been?" Cody asked on the steps of the courthouse.

"Good, I guess." Connor could hardly speak. "I don't ever see, you around much?" Connor shrugged.

"I started college." Cody shrugged back and then smiled. "I took extra classes at school. I dunno, I felt I had to keep going. And I'm glad I did. I'm glad I started college now." Cody wasn't sure if his parents really cared what he did. "I have to think of the future."

He was only doing the academics at the moment, but he was thinking about animal science. He'd volunteered at the Animal Human Society and it was inspiring.

"You, should really hang out there sometime." Cody patted Connor on the back. He wanted Connor to know it was OK to move on, even if Connor's brother would be in prison.

1 comment:

  1. I do wish Connor would find the strength to move on with his life!

    xx

    ReplyDelete