Friday, March 9, 2018

the misguided notion

the misguided notion




Leila always found herself being referred to as Ivy's mom or Cho's mom. It had been a long while since she'd heard her name, as Dole talked to her as a real person. He told her he would make breakfast in the morning.

"It has to be eggs." He was serious. "She..uh.. Winnie is particular."

She liked her eggs over easy. "Don't even bother getting a table ready of a traditional breakfast meal. She won't eat it." Dole told Leila, neither were brought up with traditional Korean foods. Both of their mothers were nurses and didn't have time to go to the Korean grocery store. 

"That's how we met, through our moms." Dole smiled. "I've know Winnie since..since middle school. Of course, I can't say our moms are as big a friends, as they used to be."

He made it sound as if it might have been his and Winnie's fault. He helped in the kitchen. It was as if he couldn't sit still.

"About..about what, Ivy said." Leila started. She bit her bottom lip, trying decide to ask or not. "Do you know..your father?"

Dole looked a bit startled, but went back to cleaning up the kitchen.

"Not that well," he said even lipped. "I..I met him once, when..when I was six..I think. He came to visit." Dole was quiet, but finally managed. "My mother never asked for much. Especially, after..after his visit. She used to be a lot on the phone with him." He nodded, "But I was little and really didn't think much of it. She seemed more at peace, after I saw him once. It was..like..it was settled, or something." Dole shrugged. He finally looked at Leila, "I didn't want that. I..I've always wanted a family, who..who could be a real family, like..like yours."

"Oh." Leila wasn't sure she should ask, but she finally asked if his father's name was the same name as Joon's, Park Byeong-Se?

Leila knew the answer as soon as Dole stared at her. "I don't go by that name." He'd taken his mother's last name of Zentner. His mother had been adopted when she was a baby.

"I see." Leila nodded with a smile. "Well, I guess...my daughter is right." Leila still wasn't sure if this was the time or place to tell Dole, his brother was coming over.

No comments:

Post a Comment