Tuesday, April 10, 2018

the way I see it



"Don't go bringing Will into this." Valentina shook her head, no. She crossed her arms and shivered in her sweater. It was still a very cold April and they never seem to be inside to do anything. He was walking her home after she got off at the bakery.

He took her hand. She almost hesitated.

"What are you trying to do? Break up Gabby and Ste?" She asked, giving him the once over that he was a troublemaker, after all.

"I don't know." He shrugged being indifferent as usual, but she knew he cared, especially about Gabby.

"It's just, is it all my fault?" He swelled a frown, looking at her as if she alone could make this situation better.

"Why would you say that?" Her lose ponytail was coming undone. She was tired and she didn't really want to talk about Gabby, but she understood she would have to be her friend. Although, Valentina found her rather moody.

"Look, if..if I was still with Ivy then..then Gabby would be with Will..." He rambled on as if she wasn't in this picture.

"As if, everything revolves around you. What about us?" She snapped with a small frown. "I mean, nothing to you?"

"No, no." He held on to her hand. "I-I didn't mean-"

"Look, you very well know, nothing is ever perfect in anyone's relationship, even if somebody keeps insisting its fine, its great, its amazing." She sucked in a breath. "I hate people like that."

"You do?" He looked at her as if he hadn't guessed it about her.

"I know for a fact, my mom and dad are barely hanging in there, for each other. Oh, she likes everyone to think things are great between them, but they don't talk. He works extra hours, all the time. I'm amazed they've been together, this long." She pressed her lips tight as if she didn't want to let the secret slip. "I just play along."

It was quiet then as they walked on. Ollie didn't have much to say, but it was good to have him so close. She sensed his warmth.

She pulled his hand up and kissed the top of his hand.

"I'm glad you tell me everything." She told him. "I never thought you would let me this close again. But the truth is I like doing nothing with you." She sighed. "It's just, I hope Gabby won't give up on Ste. I think he needs her in his life."

She watched Ollie press his lips tight.

"Why in the world.. would Will ever be your friend?" She almost smiled. "I can't imagine us ever doing anything with Will and Ivy."

Actually, she wasn't so sure she could be Ivy's friend, anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment