Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Thinking back on the way it was



 "So do you see your brother much?" was Jools' first question. 

Valentina had dodged him most of the day with organizing his kitchen and boiling eggs and such, so foods would be much handier for meals after and before work.

"Oh, let's not talk about him," she frowned. There was so much she didn't want to say. Especially, about Dan. "I know I should feel differently about him. Maybe I'm selfish, but it feels as if somebody has already taken him away from me."

"That's not unusual," he told her. "Sure, he's got his life. You have yours. You'd hate to be with him all the time. You both have things to do, but it takes a while to get to know someone."

She nodded. Yes, it was like that, wasn't it? Suddenly, she remembered her father. She thought she knew him too, but evidently, it wasn't true. Still, she could hear Dan's words, "Not everything is about you."

But if only it could be about her for a moment or two. Her mom had moved on. She seemed complete, somehow. Of course, it kept her up at night, wondering who she was like the most. Her mother or her father. Yet, it came back to haunt her..they were only her adopted parents. 

"I have a lot on my mind," she said very sadly. "It's like everything caught up to me. You know, the past, and it feels so overwhelming." She could feel her sorrow lodged in her throat and like an avalanche of sadness the tears came as she sat down at the dining table. Val apologized immensely for crying, but Jools told her it was good to cry.

"But..but I shouldn't be unhappy," she said. "I've found family I never knew I had..and he was here all along. Why? Why did it take so long?" She pushed back tears with the back of her knuckle. 

"You've always been so grown up," Jools smiled. "I dunno, you know so much more than me. Keeping a house a home. You are family. Don't you forget that?" He gave her a pat on the back and brought a glass of iced tea. 

"But what about Matty?" Val blubber.

"What about him?"

"I have to let him go." She could barely say the words.

"You don't have to. It's not always your call."

17 comments:

  1. that is the life - brother and sister go their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'The way we were.' ~ know when to 'let go.' ~ Xo

    Living in the moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!! that was a good advice and a good chapter.

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should he give himself more time to observe and make decisions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uy que hara Matty te mando un beso. Genial fragmento.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very moving chapter. Valentina's feelings are so raw, and Jools gives her such insightful advice, right down to the very end when he says '"You don't have to (let Matty go). It's not always your call."' So wise! So many of us waste time worrying about things that will work themselves out anyway. I hope that's true for Valentina.

    Thanks so much for including my little guitar and cupcake in your collage! I was so happy to see them nestled there with your story stars. :)

    As always, thanks for your comments and thought-provoking conversation. Although I said that one of the reasons Alex and Poppy work is that they're both writers, I can also see how it might be a challenge for two writers to be together. Especially when it comes to competition! (Also, Alex and Poppy aren't real, so there's that. :) That's a bummer about that certain someone not reading your stories because he thought he'd be in them. Sounds like a wuss -- or a narcissist! -- to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some decisions in life are very difficult, but also very necessary for ourselves

    ReplyDelete
  8. hola
    gracias por compartir este fragmento
    Besotesssssssssss

    ReplyDelete
  9. "But if only it could be about her for a moment or two. "....ahhhh....so true. You are not alone, Valentina.
    Thanks for letting me know about Mouse on Viki, Ellie! Episodes 1 and 2 are free so I might give it a go and see if I should re-subsribe:D I love Seung Gi! And I do have Beyond Evil on my watch list...hehe....I just finished Kingdom: Ashin of the North and that was sooooo good! Have you seen the series?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being an adopted child doesn't make it easy for Val.She's vulnerable about herself, her parents, her brother, her boyfriend. Jools is the right person at the right time to talk to her and comfort her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life is tricky ... beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, bueno... Tengo que aclimatarme un poco con la historia porque apenas voy leyéndola pero me gustó el capítulo.
    Besoss ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, well... I have to acclimatize a little with the story because I'm just reading it but I liked the chapter.... Thanks so much for your comment. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read.

      Delete