Friday, September 6, 2024

Got no bags and baggage to slow me down



 "Oh, I don't know," Boone wasn't really up for this dinner Alfie was having with an old friend. "I could just give you what you need right now." He shrugged. He needed to get back to the ovens. He felt he might ruin a batch of something.

"But I need you. I need her to see I have family. You know, that it's not only me." 

Alfie did look nervous about Remi and her husband coming over.

"All right," Boone gave in, "But you can't say Maddie and I are a couple. She's just a roommate." He remained straight-lipped. He wished it was different, but that was always the last line. She seemed fine with it. And it kind of hurt. Especially, with as much as they did together. Maybe they were just friends. 

"Don't look so troubled about it," Alfie smiled as if he knew the truth. "One way or another I'm sure you two will get together."

"Oh, I don't know," he shook his head, no. He thought of the last time they went to the lake to see Mom and Dad. It was a genuinely nice time. Everyone remembered each other's name. They didn't even spend the night. His luck somebody would blow into town and sweep Maddie off her feet and they'd be married in no time. 

"She seems really level-headed. I think she keeps you level-headed." Alfie nodded about the matter.

"Does she?" Boone winced. Was that what this was all about? Being level-headed? He sighed. This time he had to get back to the ovens.

"Well, we'll see you then?" Alfie smiled.  Boone smiled back and gave him a nod.

9 comments:

  1. It sounds interesting.
    I wish you a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be an interesting dinner conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you a wonderful weekend <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uy pobre cocinar con ese calor. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A quiet chapter, but interesting. I send you lots of weekend greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice chapter, very slow this time but so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those who are late usually don't get anywhere.
    (ꈍᴗꈍ) Poetic and cinematic greetings.
    💋Kisses💋

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miła lektura do kolacji Ellie. Dziękuję bardzo. Ściskam najmocniej

    ReplyDelete