Friday, January 29, 2021

where to go from here



 "I really think you handled that pretty well," Steve said. He overheard Jory talking with his sister. "You were honest. You gotta be honest with yourself."

"I just wish I could be who she wants me to be," Jory did his best to keep from crying, but he couldn't.

Steve hated to watch him cry. He handed him a box of tissue.

"Hey, you're a grownup," Steve wanted to be positive. Although, he didn't smile. "Things get tough."

"It's just I hate all these goals and shit everybody keeps talking about," Jory told him. "What if it never works out?"

"But you've got a lot to look forward to," Steve nodded and went to get him some hot mint tea. Jory set at the livingroom couch hugging a pillow as if it might be his only friend. "I know someone looking for a roommate. He lives upstairs."

Jory looked at him blankly. 

"He likes to cook," Steve went on to say. " Actually, I don't think he would even want you near the kitchen."

"Oh."

"I called him other day, would you want to look at the room?" Steve reminded him he wouldn't be across the hall from Poppy and Alfie. "Dan's a nurse."

"Is he gay like you and Simon?" Jory asked. "Not that there is anything wrong with that..but-"

"I think Dan's pretty much a confirmed bachelor," Steve told him. "He found out he's got a little sister."

"How little?" Jory asked so curiously.

Steve couldn't help but smile. "See, you're still interested in finding the love of your life." Steve then told him Valentina was in high school and had a boyfriend.

Jory nodded.

"I just wanted to do everything by book, you know. Fall in love, find a home and get married," Jory said about the Poppy matter.

"Well, she's been in love with Alfie for years," Steve said. "I even knew. But I couldn't tell him, because he wouldn't listen to me anyway. He used to say she talked too much."

Jory was closed mouth then, but he said he did want to look at the room at Dan's.

19 comments:

  1. I loved the chapter
    xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So crazy how everyone's story is intertwined, Ellie:) Really curious how Jory's story will go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's kind of like a spiderweb of stories..sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Turning the page and seeing what unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting chapter in the story but I think I need to read what I missed out on to understand it better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never know when we will meet the love of your life. Sometimes we live in a mistake and meanwhile love is waiting outside the door

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomara que tudo se ajeite na vida de Jory!
    Bom fim de semana!💋🗯💟

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uy genial fragmento, te deja con intriga. Te mando un beso y buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the characters felt more real than ever. Real life conversations and real problems. And the descriptions makes it so cozy at the same time, drinking tea and all. Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds promising for Jory- a new roommate, perhaps a new love.
    Steve seems to understand Jory's needs and sensitivity.

    ReplyDelete