Sunday, May 29, 2022

A war you cannot win



 "I know I'm not doing anything right," Jory said as he pounded the court with the basketball and then jumped with ease to put the ball through the hoop as if he had it down to a natural art form.

Dan only squinted back and gave him a look that this was the worst time to be serious. He took the ball, dribbled about and of course, landed one in the hoop too. Jory sighed.

"I want to do what she tells me," he squinted with a sigh as he took the ball and thought about his shot. Then went for it from mid-court. "Only, it goes against the grain. I don't like authority. Evidently."

"Trust me, you don't know how good you have it," according to Dan he did all the cooking and cleaning. "Not that I mind." 

But Jory saw it much different. 

"Look, you better hurry up and marry Ivy, before you regret it," Jory gave his best friend a look then that he needed to get with the program. Naturally, Dan was very perturbed with Jory's statement. He dribbled as if he didn't really want to shoot anymore hoops.

"You know how I am." Dan was serious. "She..she knows how I am."

"Then surprise her," Jory told him.

"I don't do things like that."

"I know."

Dan finally took a shot.

"You know, we're both set in our ways," Jory then nodded. "But so are they."




Ivy bit into the apple. Lately, she craved them because there wasn't that much else to eat. She smeared some peanut butter on it and took another bite. Seriously, Rachel was making this so much harder for her. Of course, she came to the rescue when it came to Keanu. It seemed he was happy when Rachel wanted to make sugar cookies with him. Why did he seem to like everyone but her?

Yes, it was hard not to be in a pout these days. After all, there was so much to worry about with the pregnancy while Rachel just kept smiling.

"They'll be here in a couple of days," she spoke of her in-laws. Her mom was coming too.

"How will you keep them all here?" Ivy didn't seem where. 

"Oh, his parents won't stay with us," she laughed. "Just my mom, on the couch."

"Oh." Ivy knew she could never get away with something like that. Her mom wasn't one who could sleep on a couch, even if it made into a bed. Of course, she envied Rachel already that she had a mom like that. They must have really been friends. "You two must be close."

"Um, she's the best." Rachel nodded. "I used to call her every day. Now just every few days."

Ivy nodded. She watched the two roll out dough and press cookie cutters in the shape of flowers and cats. She sighed. She knew this is what she was supposed to be doing with Keanu but never felt up to it. Finally, she put down her apple and got a handful of dough.

Keanu looked at her a little surprised, but he smiled. She smiled back. After all, he told her every day he loved her. Sometimes, he would call her and tell her with a kiss.

17 comments:

  1. There are always doubts and uncertainties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that Ivy and her son are having some fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting conversation on the court! And Ivy and Rachel seem fairly comfortable together...

    I'm the same way with streaming and DVD's. I love DVD's but streaming is SO much easier...

    Your margarita sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's good for Ivy to have a friend like Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked hearing Ivy's side of the Keanu story. And it was so heartwarming when she put down her apple to bake with Keanu and he looked surprised and then smiled. Also, I hope Dan takes the plunge and proposes to Ivy. Jory's idea about surprising Ivy is a good one.

    Finally, Bom's right. Keanu is a beautiful boy! His face claim is spot on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I appreciate your comment. Of course, sometimes, we just don't have the time to think some of things we should, but when we do..we should be happy and to show that happiness too.

      Delete
  6. cooking and cleaning are my favourites houseworks:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely piece of writing. I hope there is more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so sweet of Keanu to be like that:) And fingers crossed that Dan proposes, although with these things, things are never really so straight-forward. Great chapter(s) as always, Ellie:)
    PS The Momma Fairy sounds like a good K-drama! Thanks as always for the heads up. I am so behind watching my Kdrama stuff but am really hoping to watch The Sound of Magic and Hellhound soon! And yay for crocheting another Granny Square hat:) I really wanna get back to knitting coz my daughter is requesting a sweater but since it's getting hot here now too, I might hold off on that....LOLZ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um bom trecho, em que apetece ler o que está para trás para seguir um fio condutor.
    Boa semana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good stretch, in which you want to read what is back to follow a thread. Good week, good week.❤️❤️❤️❤️Thanks!

      Delete
  10. I like men talk like that between Jory and Dan. And I like mother-daughter relationship like the one between Rachel and her Mom.

    ReplyDelete