Sunday, November 27, 2022

Time keeps on slipping

 


Yuki was afraid to go home. Especially, after her phone call with Brandon and seeing all the messages Remi left. Naturally, the messages were full of angst. It was as if it was as good as over now.

"I didn't mean to cause any trouble," she told Brandon, feeling she was in over her head in hot water with Remi now. She'd probably hit her as soon as she got home. Yes, Remi did have a temper and Yuki usually got the brunt of it. But as of late, there hadn't been anything like that to happen, yet Yuki thought she might deserve it. After all, Thanksgiving felt really nice.

She said her phone died and she forgot to charge it. Still, there were tears in her eyes. She just didn't think Remi would understand. 

"There was somebody I knew from work," she wasn't sure if she could explain it to Brandon either. "Her grandmother is in the facility and it was her first Thanksgiving to be alone." Somehow, she knew a lot about lonely Thanksgivings. "I went to her house and we made Thanksgiving dinner."

Funny, how neither knew how to cook, but she enjoyed cooking with Emily. Of course, Emily was barely out of high school and was on her own now with her grandmother's house. She was a bit overwhelmed with having to deal with the holiday. Actually, she hated being alone in the house. "I just kept her company."

Yuki was pretty sure she didn't have all the answers, but it was just dinner and a sleepover. There was no drinking, just binge-watching Bridgerton. It was like a retreat of some sort. No fussing. Casual dining and finding the wonders of what could be created in the kitchen, like biscuits and gravy. Now Yuki dreaded going home and of course, Emily wanted her to stay because she didn't know what to do without her grandmother around.



Joon wanted to say, he was running in to a dead end. Everyone he talked to in Beijing didn't know of this person who was Poppy's mother. It might as well have been pure fiction. "Maybe she was born in the states." He tried to be optimistic, yet a part of him felt Poppy's family was hiding something from her.

"I wish I was more help," what more could he say. Maybe if they left it alone it would be for the best. Especially, since she didn't want to spoil her dad's Thanksgiving. After all, he was so happy with the new baby on the way with Lynsey.

But he could see Poppy felt a little lost when they stopped by there on the way home from her Aunt's. There was other family to get to know as well. Like Lynsey's brother Jory and his family. But they hung out for a little while sampling all sorts of pie and cake. 

He was sure Niah would have a tummy ache, but she took it in stride playing with the babies as if she was trying to tell him something. 

Oh, everyone had a good laugh with her songs and stories and Joon let her take center stage. All the while Poppy looked a little sad and maybe worried, but she didn't say anything.

Later, when she was at his place she did say she thought her aunt should be somewhere she could be taken care of properly. "I don't think my Dad knows how forgetful she is. I don't know what to do."

"Well, you two need to have a serious talk. It's best to get a plan ready before it's too late." Of course, that was possibly easier said than done. At least Thanksgiving was over, but the holidays were coming. "I know you want to do so much for her, but there is only so much you can do. I want you to enjoy the holidays, too." That's when he mentioned he wanted to take her to Seoul to meet his parents.


16 comments:

  1. Steve Miller! Woot I'll be thinking that song in my head all day lol.

    I think it was nice of Yuki to help Emily. Poor girl sounded like she was overwhelmed. And I'm noticing a theme here (I think) about elder care and I think that's good. and ooh going to Seol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing.
    I invite you to visit my last post. Have a good week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooo my comment seems to have disappeared. Dang it. Anyway- Steve Miller! I don't remember what I typed now, but I like the check ins and the songs elements :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!! great chapter, thanks for sharing.

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uy las cosas se complican con la familia. Te mando un beso. https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the chapter. It's a little when old people are left alone, it's so dangerous.
    X
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  7. E como foi seu dia de Ação de Graças?
    Beijos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! Meeting the parents is certainly a big deal! And that was really nice...what Yuki did for Emily during Thanksgiving with her grandma:)
    PS Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Ellie! And I'm gonna Google Unstoppable High Kick! Sounds like a great show! There are so many Kdramas I'm dying to see but I'm so behind with my to-watch list because I get distracted easily with new shows....eeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola! esta muy interesante, me gusto mucho el capítulo de hoy. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yuki spending Thanksgiving with a lonely coworker was a surprise. I can see why this, as Yuki described it, "retreat-like" atmosphere was preferable to the drama-one filled at home. The part about Yuki predicting Remi would hit her was scary. I hope Yuki will be okay.

    I always love reading about Niah; she's so cute! And the search for Poppy's mom seems to be heating up. I love that Joon wants to bring her to Seoul to meet his parents.

    Props to the unicorn and Hello Kitty in the collage! 🦄🎀

    ReplyDelete