Saturday, May 25, 2024

The days of May



 "Well, you should come out and shoot some hoops," Alfie thought his brother Boone looked rather glum these days.

His roommate moved out and Alfie suspected Boone wasn't so sure he wanted Lily to move in with him. "I don't think things have been the same with you and Lily since the baby scare."

"I was not scared," Boone was being testy as he went to get out of his slippers and put on some shoes and socks for their walk to the basketball court. 

"Don't tell me that," Alfie told him he was lying to himself. "It scared you shitless."

Of course, they'd all showed up for Lily's graduation. It was a big dinner afterward. Alfie thought it might be a whole weekend affair. Lily's family showed up too and now Lily had gone off to Chicago. "Did you know that would happen?" Alfie asked on their way to meet Gage.

"I don't know." Boone looked a bit perturbed. That was when he told him he wished his mom would let him decide who was to move in.

Alfie didn't waste any time with dribbling the basketball and then shot it to Boone as if he needed to think fast. Luckily he caught it before it hit his gut. Soon enough they were on the court playing ball. This time Gage brought his son Alec.

"We can't be too long, because Nora is overdue," he said.

"I guess we're not talking about library books," Boone smirked. 

Alfie watched Alec's moves. He'd been practicing. He did a layup, but it was his basketball shots at mid-court that impressed everyone.

"Can you do that?" Alfie bounced the ball to Boone. It was best to keep moving. He took a shot, but the ball bounced off the realm. 

Boone sighed as if he shouldn't be here, but Alfie drove the ball toward him again. And again, until finally, he made a hoop in the fifth shot.

It wasn't long until Kevin showed up with Brick.

"Oh, you would bring in a pro, now wouldn't you?" Alfie looked at the both of them as if they should be busy with a summer job.

Brick only smiled. He mentioned something about basketball camp.

"Well, of course, you'd be there," Alfie shrugged. 

"At the youth center," Alec explained. "How do you think I'm so good?"

Brick and Kevin were coaching the day camp.

10 comments:

  1. I like to play football at school with my students sometimes. Thank you for the next chapter, best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great times they must have
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you a wonderful weekend
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    So American about playing basketball! To tell you the truth, I have a basketball court right in front of my house that belongs to the primary school, but the Portuguese kids only want to play football!!!
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Siempre es bueno entrenar y confiar en los amigos. Genial fragmento. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am not a great fun of this game;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love basketball!! hahaha thanks for sharing this chapter, I loved it
    Kisses ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. the technology has taken over the modern era strongly so even reading these guys want to play physical game making me emotional lol
    i miss those days when playgrounds were packed with youngsters such sights are rare now so rare

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, a good old-fashioned guys shooting hoops! 🏀🏀🏀 You know I love Gage, and with my current sitch, this part spoke to me:

    "We can't be too long, because Nora is overdue," he said.

    "I guess we're not talking about library books," Boone smirked.

    Also, I agree with Alfie that Boone and Lily aren't as unscathed from their pregnancy scare as they think . . .

    📕📙📒📗📘👶

    ReplyDelete