Friday, January 6, 2023

Makes no difference what group I'm in



 "It's not that complicated," Alfie shrugged about the matter of seeing his brother Boone and his dad for New Year's. "I know I could have probably had Christmas with them, but I am a procrastinator."

At least, he wanted Gage to know this much. Of course, Gage only gave him a nod. They went out for coffee. No way was either going to mess up Nora's kitchen. It might as well have been a science lab. These days it was her and Alec's space. Both watched them as if they didn't know what was happening. 

"Well, looks like your January is off to a good start," Gage at least smiled.

"Sure, it is." Alfie sighed feeling he was more of a guest star in his own life. Yes, Boone had his sister Oakley. Alfie didn't know what to make of her. Yet, he couldn't keep his eyes off her. He knew it was wrong, but still, she was probably the best part of a new start of January. Alfie got around to mentioning her. "She seems to be the one who only knows him. It's like she's his-"

"What? Bodyguard?" Gage looked at him blankly.

"No, more like his babysitter," Alfie sipped his coffee. "She's not much older than him, but she does all the driving." Truly, he did envy his baby brother. Alfie didn't like driving either. He went an extra hour early on the drive  to see them at New Year's because he knew he'd get lost. Honestly, he still had no sense of direction, but somehow he made it back. "I probably won't see them again, anyway." He shrugged. Yet, he'd exchanged phone numbers. Oakley seemed to think they needed to keep in contact with each other. It was the least he could do.

"I guess he's OK. He seems to have had a sheltered life," Alfie decided. These were things he hated about his biological brother. He'd never had much of that except with his grandmother. Oh, they never said it, but Alfie was certain now his dad never thought he was his kid, but his father's mother always did. She was his real family. He didn't think he needed to admit it to anyone. Even now, his dad didn't have much to say to him. Perhaps it was too late. Alfie didn't have much to say to him either. 

"You guys need to make plans," Gage told him he needed to spend time with his brother. "I didn't know my brother until later, either, but somehow he's helped me over the years," Gage said he was glad his brother was doing well now in Grand Island. "I didn't want to be a burden, you know. And I know my mom really wanted to be in Alec's life too." 

"But, we've got to move," he said in the next breath. He said they were being a burden. She was sick. It seemed as if she was crumbling as of late. "I don't want to see this happening, but-"

"But what?" Alfie spoke up ever so bright-eyed. "You can live with Nora and me."

Gage almost let a laugh give way. "You better talk to Nora about that first."

10 comments:

  1. Interesting, what will Nora think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!! a really interesting chapter!!

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me encanta Gage espero que pueda encontrar un lugar donde vivir. https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. I wonder that what will Nora say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exchanged numbers w/ Oakley hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked learning more about Alfie's family. It helped me understand why he is the way he is. And it's interesting that Alfie and Gage may soon be roommates. Their enemies-to-besties dynamic is fascinating!

    Thanks so much for including my Christmas cactus in the collage! Funny, but I like seeing it even more now than I did in December. Then again, I still have all my decorations up -- and will until Valentine's Day. 🎄😍🌵

    ReplyDelete