Friday, April 5, 2024

Where did the Sunshine band go?

 


KC had been in a panic since he lost his phone. Hell, he'd had that phone since his Freshman year in high school. His life was on that old iPhone. The only phone number he knew by heart was Harley's.

Then when Ruby snapped about that little fact, it was like a bomb went off. What was Ruby's problem? It was like she was a bitch from a past life. It was an awakening and a nightmare at the same time.

"Maybe, things will be better after Spring Break," he'd said in the end, but he doubted it.

He didn't say much to Harley about it, other than to please let his dad call the school about his missing phone. Of course, he went home with a cheap Virgin phone he got at the drugstore so he could at least call home or Harley.

Harley wanted to know what was going on with Ruby. They'd texted furiously during his bus ride home which took all of two days, but still, it gave him a week to be home. 

"I don't know." He kept reminding her that he'd lost his phone. "I don't even know how that happened."

When he got home, it felt weird. Kind of like the bird flying back to a different nest. Junie was busy with Darry and Maddie was always going out. Not once did she approach him. And for the first time, he felt as if everyone hated him. 

"I don't know if I can stay out there," KC finally got around to talking to Brick about what was going on with Ruby. Yet, he couldn't tell Brick everything either. If only he could get Harley alone, but she wouldn't let that happen. 

At least, they got to go out to the place by the bowling alley. He got to see Tyra and her band. And as happy as she was to see him, Tyra had a girlfriend now. He hadn't expected that. It felt as if this spring break had left him shut out. Everyone was having fun, but him.

Sure, he got caught up with Mercer and Cade.

"So what about Rafe?" KC looked blankly at Cade as they ate pie sometime after midnight at Village Inn. "Is he really still with Maddie?"

Cade finally told him, they didn't know where Rafe went too, but he was definitely not with Maddie.

23 comments:

  1. KC needs a new phone-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the chapter. It's so strange to feel out of place where your home should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Losing your phone is not good.
    And those feelings at home .. :-(

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm a bit confused, there are so many characters that I think I got lost in the story, sorry!!! But as far as I can tell, someone feels out of place! I wish you a rainbow of happiness for this new month of writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, I do have a lot of characters and I know it might put some off. But we meet a lot of people in life too...and sometimes, we are a little lost.

      Delete
    2. You're right!
      I wish you a happy weekend!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I wish I had a good surprise for you! Still, Em went with Yuki instead of Axton. Although, she does mean a lot to him. I think he wants to be a good dad because he never had one. And She had Yuki who she loves. Yes, they are a very unique trio which I think exist so much in America ...at least these days. Having a child is important. And I feel here in America we are having so few. But inspitie of many different preferences these days, we still love the idea of bringing a child into the world and being more giving that ever..where ever we might come from.

      Delete
    4. Thanks so much for your comment! I so appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Ruby and Rafe. And it is hard to come home and have everythig feel different.

    I like all your storylines but this one has me curious to see wha t happens next...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well..thanks..so much. Yeah, it might be a growing experience for everyone...even me.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes we get lost even looking in front of the mirror. It's not a rule, but it happens.
    (๊ˆแด—๊ˆ) Poetic and cinematographic greetings.
    ๐Ÿ’‹Kisses๐Ÿ’‹

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uy a ver que pasa con Rafe y su corazรณn. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see what happens with Rafe and his heart. I send you a kiss.๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ–ค๐ŸŒธ๐ŸงThanks for the comment! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Very cool and deep.
      Kisses ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ–ค๐ŸŒˆThanks!

      Delete
  9. I hope Rafe is okay. The way he just disappeared is worrisome.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oi Ellie! Deus me livre perder o celular!
    Se puder, me visite no blog que eu escrevo,
    se chama "De Outro Mundo," pode ser?
    Beijos! ๐Ÿ˜˜๐ŸŒผ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellie! God forbid I lose my cell phone!
      If you can, visit me on the blog I write,
      it's called "From Another World," can you?
      Kisses! >>>>>>I will try. Thanks for the visit

      Delete
  11. Oh, KC! I guess you really can't go home again. This part is especially poignant:

    "When he got home, it felt weird. Kind of like the bird flying back to a different nest."

    Maybe something will happen with him and Maddie?

    Love the reference to KC and the Sunshine Band! ๐ŸŒž๐ŸŽต๐Ÿ’–๐ŸŒž๐ŸŽต๐Ÿ’–

    ReplyDelete
  12. your characters are full of real life and that makes them appealing ,hope Rafe is okay . i have to check when he broke up with meddie

    ReplyDelete